Facebook proposes changes to its data use policy, shift away from voting during comment periods

Facebook proposes changes to data use policy and site governance process

There's few issues that stir up more debate about Facebook than privacy and data use, and the social network has today proposed some changes to its policies that affect both. That includes a more public role for its Chief Privacy Officer, Erin Egan, who will both be at the center of a new "Ask the Chief Privacy Officer" feature that's said to be launching in the coming weeks, as well as a new series of live events where she'll address "comments and questions about privacy, safety and security." It's also proposing changes to its site governance process, including a shift away from its current voting method for feedback on policy changes, which it says "incentivized the quantity of comments over their quality." The new method, it suggests, will lead to "more meaningful feedback and engagement."

What's more, the company is also proposing some changes to its data use policy, including new filters that will replace the "Who can send you Facebook messages" setting in Messenger, and changes to how it refers to certain products like "instant personalization." It's also proposing some new reminders to inform people what's visible to others on Facebook, and various tips for managing your timeline. Of course, these are still just proposed changes, and it's giving users until November 28th to offer their feedback on them (Egan will then host one of the aforementioned live events to address the comments). You can find all of the proposed changes and details on how to have your say on them at the source link.

Filed under:

Comments

Source: Facebook


Source: http://feeds.engadget.com/~r/weblogsinc/engadget/~3/rfnj3hkrnRk/

george lopez bedtime stories micron susan g komen kenyon martin kenyon martin big miracle

Euro zone consumer confidence falls in November

BRUSSELS (Reuters) - Euro zone consumer confidence fell in November compared to the previous month, the first estimate from the European Commission showed on Thursday.

The Commission said consumer confidence in the 17-member euro zone slipped to -26.9 this month from a revised October figure of -25.7.

Consumer spending accounts for more than half of euro zone economic output, but with the effects of the debt crisis cutting disposable income, households have been in no position to contribute much to economic recovery.

In the wider 27-member European Union, consumer sentiment improved a fraction, to -23.7, compared to -24.3 last month.

EU leaders want to drive economic growth and employment after nearly three years of crisis and austerity, but the bloc has little immediate cash to invest and faces the longer-term challenge of falling productivity and an ageing workforce.

For European Commission data click on:

http://ec.europa.eu/economy_finance/db_indicators/surveys/index_en.htm

(Rex Merrifield, Brussels newsroom)

Source: http://news.yahoo.com/euro-zone-consumer-confidence-falls-november-150113420--business.html

ferdinand porsche gregg williams theraflu masters leaderboard frozen four joe avezzano kanye west theraflu

How The Internet REALLY Works - Business Insider

CDWThis is the second of the four-part "Data Centers" series. This series explores the evolution of data centers and how they impact the workplace. This series on Data Centers is brought to you by CDW.

Since you're reading this online, it's safe to assume you use the Internet every day. But does that mean you really know the Internet?

We bet not. Because the Internet is a great big place.

Do you know how big the Internet is? Who's building the biggest data center? Who is the greenest Internet company of them all? What people use the mobile Internet for? How much money you really save by using the Internet to shop?

Source: http://www.businessinsider.com/how-the-internet-really-works-2012-11

david choe national wear red day gunner kiel gunner kiel groundhog soulja boy did the groundhog see his shadow

Jordan Wolfson: Raspberry Poser | e-flux

The world of?Raspberry Poser, a new video by New York-based artist Jordan Wolfson,?is inhabited by silvery heart-filled condoms, mutating red blood cells, a lock and key in coitus, a listless punk, a destructive shapeshifting kid and a rubbery anthropomorphic HIV virus. Set against a backdrop of still and moving images and a pop soundtrack, the actors and animated objects float, bounce and pulsate from one scene to the next??their rhythmic activities framed by Soho boutiques, children?s bedrooms, Parisian parks and the paintings of Caravaggio. The systems of reference in Wolfson?s Raspberry Poser are varied and disparate, but linger on the inherent flatness of hand-drawn animation and the illusion of depth and realism afforded by recent advances in computer-generated imagery (CGI). Seemingly limitless in possibility and scope, the video?s scenarios draw upon the technical abilities of commercial animators to create worlds and forms based in life and digital images but with no binding reality.

Employing materials culled from?Internet image searches, the artist?s own lived experience and?the histories of art and popular entertainment,?Raspberry Poser?touches upon and undermines the gravity of such pervasive themes as life, death and love. An assembly of found images, sampled music, commissioned animations and scenes filmed on location in Paris and New York are subject to a series of formal strategies borrowed from the history of animated cartoons, including a disregard of the fourth wall through direct address; the endless repetition and mutation of form; a malleable and permeable cinematic frame; and the appearance of depth on a layered two-dimensional plane. Through these means, Raspberry Poser considers the developments of?digital and analog animation as essential to the histories of modernism and modernity, responsible for shaping and relaying the concerns of sculptural and pictorial modes of representation since its invention and defining our relationship to images and objects.

The third in a trilogy of recent animated works that includes Animation, Masks (2011) and Con Leche (2009), Raspberry Poser is Wolfson?s most ambitious synthesis of digital video, CGI and hand-drawn animation. The presentation of Raspberry Poser at REDCAT is the artist?s first solo exhibition in Los Angeles and is accompanied by a publication, co-produced by REDCAT and?the?Stedelijk Museum voor Actuele Kunst?(S.M.A.K.), Ghent, Belgium, with contributions by Esther Leslie, Aram Moshayedi, Linda Norden and Philippe Van Cauteren.

Jordan Wolfson (b. 1980, New York) graduated from the Rhode Island School of Design in 2003 and currently lives and works in New York. He was the recipient of the prestigious Cartier Award in 2009, was included in the 2006 Whitney Biennial and has been the subject of solo exhibitions and screenings in national and international museums and cultural institutions, including Midway Contemporary Art, Minneapolis, Minnesota (2012); Kunstsammlung Nordrhein-Westfalen, D?sseldorf (2011); CCA Wattis Institute for Contemporary Arts, San Francisco (2009); Swiss Institute, New York (2008); GAMeC, Bergamo, Italy (2007); and Kunsthalle Z?rich (2004). In June 2013, S.M.A.K., Ghent will present Wolfson?s most comprehensive survey exhibition to date.

Jordan Wolfson: Raspberry Poser is funded in part with generous support from Jill and Peter Kraus; Isabelle and Charles Berkovic; James Lindon; Brooke and Daniel Neidich; Johann K?nig, Berlin; and T293, Naples/Rome.?In-kind sponsorship provided by Dazian Creative Fabric Environments. The Standard is the official hotel of REDCAT.

Raspberry Poser?is?co-produced by REDCAT and the?Stedelijk Museum voor Actuele Kunst?(S.M.A.K.), Ghent, Belgium.

Gallery at REDCAT aims to support, present, commission and nurture new creative insights through dynamic projects and challenging ideas. The Gallery presents five exhibitions every year, often of newly commissioned work that represents the artist?s first major presentation in the U.S. or Los Angeles. The Gallery also maintains an active publishing program producing as many as two major monographs per year. Proceeding from the geographic and cultural specificities of Los Angeles, its program emphasizes artistic production of the Pacific Rim?namely Mexico, Central and South America and Asia?as regions that are of vital significance to California. The Gallery aims to facilitate dialogue between local and international artists contributing to a greater understanding of the social, political and cultural contexts that inform contemporary artistic practice.

Gallery at REDCAT is open Tuesdays through Sundays from noon to 6pm or until intermission. It is closed Mondays and major holidays. Admission to the Gallery at REDCAT is always free.

REDCAT is located at the corner of W. 2nd and Hope Streets, inside the Walt Disney Concert Hall complex in downtown Los Angeles (631 West 2nd Street, Los Angeles, CA 90012).

?

?

Source: http://www.e-flux.com/announcements/jordan-wolfson-raspberry-poser/

georgia bulldogs football rashard mendenhall rachel zoe penn state football mt rainier national park rose parade mount rainier national park

Intel Announces CEO Paul Otellini Will Retire In May, Mobile ...

Intel today announced that CEO Paul Otellini will retire in May. In a press release, the company said that Otellini will take his leave at the company?s annual stockholder meeting in May, with the stated intent of easing the management transition during the next 6 months. Otellini has been CEO of Intel since mid 2005, and saw annual revenue grow from $38.8 billion to $54 billion through the end of 2011, but some crucial failures in mobile and a changing revenue picture might have led in part to this decision.

?I?ve been privileged to lead one of the world?s greatest companies,? Otellini was quoted as saying in the press release. ?After almost four decades with the company and eight years as CEO, it?s time to move on and transfer Intel?s helm to a new generation of leadership. I look forward to working with Andy, the board and the management team during the six-month transition period, and to being available as an advisor to management after retiring as CEO.?

Intel has managed to become the processor of choice for essentially all desktop and mobile computing, and even managed to get Apple to switch away from its PowerPC processors to Intel chips in 2005. But the company was notoriously slow to act when the mobile market began to emerge, and continues to have next to no presence on smartphone platforms, where ARM-based designs created by competitors like Qualcomm are the standard. Intel?s most recent quarterly results paint a much different picture than the period highlighted in its press release, with the company reporting modest results and projecting a very conservative outlook.

Intel hasn?t been the luckiest with mobile efforts. In recent years, it saw webOS collapse after initially partnering with HP on some of those efforts. And then Nokia dropped MeeGo, and Intel announced it would go it alone, but the company recently seems to have given up on that pursuit as well. Intel?s mobile processor efforts have been overall not very successful, despite reports from a couple of years ago that had the PC chipmaker talking tough about going head-to-head with ARM.


Intel is best known for producing the microprocessors found in many personal computers. The company also makes a range of other hardware including network cards, motherboards, and graphics chips. Intel created the first commercial microprocessor chip in 1971, but it was not until the success of the personal computer that microprocessors became their primary business. In the 1980?s they were an early developer of SRAM and DRAM memory chip, and during the 1990s they invested heavily in new microprocessor...

? Learn more

Source: http://techcrunch.com/2012/11/19/intel-announces-ceo-paul-otellini-will-retire-in-may-mobile-weakness-could-be-a-factor/

nikki minaj grammy performance shel silverstein niki minaj grammy performance grammys 2012 deadmau5 phoebe snow jennifer hudson tribute to whitney houston

RBI bans bank loans for gold buy to check speculation | Firstpost

Mumbai: The Reserve Bank has? directed banks not to give loans for purchase of gold in any form, including primary gold, bullion and jewellery, to dissuade
people from indulging in speculative activity.

??it is advised that no advances should be granted by banks for purchase of gold in any form, including primary gold, gold bullion, gold jewellery, gold coins, units of gold Exchange Traded Funds (ETF) and units of gold mutual funds,? RBI said in a notification.

No advances should be granted by banks against gold bullion to dealers or traders in gold if, in their assessment, such advances are likely to be utilised for purposes of financing gold purchase at auctions or speculative holding of stocks and bullion, it said.

Reuters

However, it said banks can provide finance for genuine working capital requirements of jewellers. The decision was taken in view of significant rise in
imports of gold in recent years putting pressure on current account deficit.

In the 2011-12 fiscal, India?s gold imports stood at $60 billion and the quantum of import was 1,067 tonnes. In the April-June quarter of the current fiscal, however, gold imports had contracted by 18.4 percent year-on-year to Rs 71,912 crore ($ 13 billion).

The Monetary Policy Statement of April 2012 announced the constitution of a Working Group to study issues relating to gold imports and gold loans by Non-Banking Financial Companies (NBFCs) in India.

The Working Group, submitted its draft report in August 2012, suggested that other than working capital finance, banks are not permitted to finance purchase of gold in any form.

PTI

Firstpost encourages open discussion and debate, but please adhere to the rules below, before posting. Comments that are found to be in violation of any one or more of the guidelines will be automatically deleted:

Personal attacks/name calling will not be tolerated. This applies to comments directed at the author, other commenters and other politicians/public figures

Please do not post comments that target a specific community, caste, nationality or religion.

While you do not have to use your real name, any commenters using any Firstpost writer's name will be deleted, and the commenter banned from participating in any future discussions.

Comments will be moderated for abusive and offensive language.

Source: http://www.firstpost.com/economy/rbi-bans-bank-loans-for-gold-buy-to-check-speculation-528591.html

Romnesia eminem eminem Samantha Steele yankees Tagg Romney Bosses Day

Turbulence on Cuba-Italy flight leaves 30 bruised

14 hrs.

ROME --?An airliner flying from Havana to Milan abruptly plunged some 1,000 meters (3,300 feet) when it hit unusually strong turbulence over the Atlantic on Monday, terrifying passengers and leaving some 30 people aboard with bruises and scrapes, airline officials said.

The flight continued to Milan's Malpensa airport after the plane's captain determined that it suffered no structural damage and two passengers who are physicians found no serious injuries, Giulio Buzzi, head of the pilots division at Neos Air, told Sky TG24 TV.

The ANSA news agency quoted bruised passenger Edoardo De Lucchi as saying meals were being served when suddenly there was "10 seconds of terror." He recounted how plates went flying and some passengers not wearing seatbelts bounced about.

Buzzi had said that the drop measured some 3,000 meters (10,000 feet) in a cloudless sky. But Milan daily's Corriere della Sera's web site, quoting Neos official Davide Martini, later reported that the plane first bounced up some 500 meters (1,650 feet), then dropped some 1,000 meters (3,300 feet) to some 500 meters (1,650 feet) below the original altitude. ?

Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Source: http://www.nbcnews.com/travel/turbulence-cuba-italy-flight-leaves-30-bruised-1C7155140

martin luther king jr. zappos john elway john elway i have a dream speech fox news debate martin luther king jr

Poland says extremist planned to blow up parliament

WARSAW (Reuters) - Polish officials said on Tuesday they had arrested a radical nationalist who planned to detonate a vehicle loaded with four tonnes of explosives outside parliament, possibly when the president and prime minister were in the building.

Prosecutors said the man, a scientist who works for a university in the southern city of Krakow, had assembled a small arsenal of explosive material, guns and remote-controlled detonators and was trying to recruit others to help him.

A video recording taken from the suspect showed what prosecutors said was a test explosion he conducted, leaving a large crater in the ground.

Polish television, citing sources close to the investigation, said the suspect planned to copy methods used by Anders Behring Breivik, who killed 77 people in bomb and gun attacks in Norway last year and said he was driven by far-right views.

"The suspect does not belong to a political group or party. He claims that he was acting on nationalistic, anti-Semitic and xenophobic motives," prosecutor Piotr Krason told a news conference.

"He carried out reconnaissance in the neighborhood of the Sejm (parliament). This building was to be the target of the attack. He collected explosives and materials for detonation," Krason said.

Poland has no experience of militant violence in its modern history. Society is though deeply polarized between supporters of liberal values and those who believe the country is neglecting its Catholic roots and succumbing to foreign influence.

Earlier this month, a rally in the capital, Warsaw, by right-wing nationalists turned violent, when youths in the crowd started throwing flares and stones at police.

Earlier on Tuesday, prosecutors said they had initiated legal proceedings against the bomb plot suspect on November 5 and that Poland's Internal Security Agency would handle the case.

"The case looks very serious," Pawel Gras, a government spokesman, told TOK FM radio station. "We know that the possible targets were to be the president, the parliament and the government." (Writing by Christian Lowe)

Source: http://news.yahoo.com/poland-says-extremist-planned-blow-parliament-100436666.html

cesar chavez winning lotto numbers lottery tickets mega lottery sag aftra mega mill power ball